Mold & Your Health: What You Should Know
Flooding, leaks, and overflows… all of these can lead to water damage. Not only can disasters like this cost you money, it can also make you ill. Here’s what you need to know about how water damage and mold can affect your health.
How Mold Gets Into Your Home
Water damage is the leading cause of mold and mildew growth in a home.
It can happen when there is:
- Sewage back up
- Burst pipes
- Plumbing or roof leaks
- Damp basement
- Overflows from sinks or bathtub
- Areas with high humidity, like a flooded crawl space
Mildew and mold can quickly develop within 24-48 hours after water exposure. What’s even worse is that mold will continue to grow until steps are taken to eliminate the water damage.
How Mold Can Make You Sick
If mold is not taken care of right away it can lead to some serious health issues for you, your family, and even your pets. Some of the molds that grow in a home can produce toxins known as “mycotoxins“.
These can cause health problems that can range from mild ailments, such as rashes and sneezing, to severe, long-term respiratory damage. In some cases, exposure to mold can lead to death.
Infants, Children, and Pregnant Women
Women, people with existing respiratory conditions, and the elderly are all at a higher risk of developing serious health problems from mold.
Even your pets could be put at risk for respiratory illnesses that could eventually lead to death.
What We Can Do
As the old saying goes, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. The best thing you can do to keep you and your family safe is to regularly inspect your home for signs of water damage or mold growth.
Usually, you can tell if you have a mold problem by its distinct musty odor. However, sometimes water damage, along with mold, likes to hide in cold, dark areas where homeowners don’t typically hang out.
This is why it’s best to preform regular maintenance on your house, from the attic to the basement. By doing this, you can deal with the early signs of water damage before it turns into a mold problem, and most importantly, a health problem.