Imagine walking into work one day and seeing the place flooded from a water leak. Besides panic, what do you do? Who do you call? Do you leave or stay?
Emergencies like this are always unexpected, they can happen anywhere and at any time. The best way to handle these situations is to be prepared.
Here’s what you need to know if you find your office under water:
- Always remember – safety first!
- Know where your water supply line is so you can turn it off.
- Keep track of valuables and water damaged items, furniture.
- Call the right water restoration company.
1. Remember Safety First
Turn off all power to rooms that are affected. Not doing this first can turn a messy situation into a dangerous one. Walk carefully on wet surfaces especially when moving from carpeted areas onto hard surfaces.
Do not walk under any sagging ceilings, they could collapse and cause injury.
Avoid turning on any overhead lights if the ceiling is wet. Do not operate any electrical appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors.
2. Know Where Your Water Supply Is
There is often a main water shut-off valve located outside of your office. Usually, this requires a valve key, so be sure to know where that’s located.
If you cannot do this, then give us a call at (214) 731-4624 and we can help.
3. Keep Track of the Valuables
This will help keep the costs of replacing items down. Remove any and all expensive items (including furniture, pictures, and paintings) to unaffected areas.
If you can’t move some of the furniture try to place aluminum foil or plastic under its legs. If the piece of furniture is solid at its base, put wooden blocks or Styrofoam under it.
Don’t forget to clean off any water that may have splashed onto the furniture.
If there are any items that are irreplaceable make sure to have copies stored in a place that is not likely to flood.
4. Know Who to Call
Make sure you have the phone numbers for your plumber and local water restoration company on hand. Do not wait to call. The sooner a restoration company is called, the quicker it is to have your office back in business.
Don’t have a restoration company in mind? No worries! Contact us now or call us 24/7 at (214) 731-4624 to get a completely free visual inspection and estimate.
Latest posts by Jake Lambert (see all)
- Water Damage In Your Home: What To Do Immediately - September 28, 2016
- What’s The Difference Between Flood Damage and Water Damage? - July 26, 2016
- What’s The Average Cost of Water Damage Repair in Dallas? - July 19, 2016
- 5 Safety Tips to Remember When You Have Water Damage Dallas - July 5, 2016
- Air Scrubbers: What They Are & Why We Use Them - May 6, 2016